Worldwide clean air regulations demand continued truck and car exhaust emissions reductions to protect the air we breathe. Most engine manufacturers have chosen Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) as one of their key new emissions technologies, and it requires Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to function. DEF fluid is a combination of Urea and de-mineralized water which needs filtration to ensure proper system function and lifetime.
- H&V developed one of the first fully-synthetic media for urea filtration.
- Our media is durable, easy to pleat, and withstands more than 1,000 freezing cycles while retaining the same filter performance.
Particulates (pollen, fine dust from the street and from wear and tear (tires, clutches and breaks) as well as industrial dust from ambient air), soot and gases such as ozone, n-Butanes, Toluene, SO2, NOx, NH3 or acetaldehyde cause health, comfort and safety issues for drivers and passengers. The car, truck, construction equipment, agricultural vehicles, rail and aerospace markets have taken steps to create healthier cabin air environments by offering pollen and activated carbon combi filters:
- Combi filters from Technostat® filter media and activated carbon remove gaseous pollutants and odors and provide the market’s highest particulate efficiency – offering up to a 50% lower pressure drop versus standard cabin air filter media.
- H&V’s patented activated carbon combi filter media packs more surface area into each gram of carbon, good bonding and high adsorption capacity making it more effective.
Today’s engines must breathe easily and ingest virtually no contamination to comply with strict emissions standards that protect our environment. H&V’s engine intake media sets the pace for the world’s leading filter manufacturers by offering low restriction and exceptional dust-holding capacity to safeguard the air we breathe.
- Our patented NANOWEB® media offers 300% higher soot-capture efficiency and low filter restriction. Flame retardant NANOWEB makes it easier to design the innovative filter geometries that new engine technologies require.
Renewable energy sources only generate power when the sun shines or the wind blows. Optimizing green energy production into the daily grid cycle requires bulk energy storage. New load-leveling installations are accompanying renewable energy plants across the globe. Today, maintenance-free valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries with premium H&V separators are the leading electro-chemical storage solution worldwide.
- H&V’s separators are installed in multiple large energy storage projects around the world.
- Our battery separators feature more than 94% porosity for maximum acid storage.
The automotive industry rapidly developed start-stop engines to reduce carbon emissions and provide more efficient fuel consumption. This innovative system turns off the car’s engine in situations where the vehicle would otherwise idle, such as stopping at traffic lights. Start-stop systems utilize sensors to detect when the vehicle is stationary. Some models will automatically shut off the engine when the vehicle’s speed falls below a specific threshold.
Start-stop systems are available with most vehicle classes, including motorcycles, to improve fuel efficiency and lower engine emissions. While these systems are highly advantageous in numerous ways, they do pose significant challenges for automotive batteries. Repeated starts and stops place a high demand on a vehicle battery because the vehicle is still in use. As the engine switches off, the battery must take on the burden of powering any electrical components that continue running. As a result, start-stop automotive systems often cause charge management and charge acceptance issues with vehicle batteries.
Hollingsworth & Vose (H&V) is a leading supplier of battery separators designed to improve battery function in start-stop systems.
Battery Separators for Automotive Start-Stop Engines
H&V Absorption Glass Mat (AGM) separators have become the dominant choice for automotive Starting, Lighting, Ignition (SLI) batteries used in start-stop vehicles. Our AGM separators facilitate high-speed assembly to meet the complex production demands of the start-stop vehicle market. We specifically design our separators to account for increased service demands such as rapid recharge, cycling, and acid stratification.
Accommodating these demands requires a wettable and porous battery separator that will allow acid to permeate it as the battery is charging or discharging. Additionally, the separator should never impede the flow of ions between the cathode and the anode.
Due to the acidic, oxidative environment of the battery, manufacturers must opt for materials that resist these stressors. Start-stop engine battery separators must also be durable enough to handle assembly operations and function reliably under the intense vibration and thermal stress they will encounter over the battery’s service life.
Additionally, consider the way that the separator will interact with the acid contained within the battery. Since the acid serves as the fuel or reserve capacity for the battery, manufacturers must design the battery separator to displace a minimal amount of acid. Incorporating this design feature will ensure optimal battery performance.
Our battery separators offer numerous benefits for start-stop systems, including:
- High-rate discharge performance
- Cycling optimization
- Compression maintenance (recovery)
- Electrolyte stratification resistance
- Reserve capacity optimization
- High-porosity for maximum electrolyte volume
- High-vibration resistance
- Chemical purity and consistency
- Thickness and basis-weight control
- Electrolyte-filling efficiency
- Wrapping/stacking efficiency
- Assembly defect reduction (rips, splits, tears, and punctures)
- Paste imperfection protection (paste lumps, spurs, etc.)
All-Glass and EnergyGuard® from H&V
At H&V, we manufacture all of our battery separators at a global network of regionally located mills, enabling us to offer rapid delivery times and localized application support. Our EnergyGuard® high-strength battery separator provides an ideal solution for start-stop systems, featuring an exceptionally robust construction that guards against vibration and assembly defects. Alternatively, our all-glass product line is also popular for this application.
To see how our battery separator solutions can help improve your start-stop system, please contact us today.
Our range of media for liquid filtration applications including residential and municipal drinking water, waste water, desalination, biomedical, food and beverage, gas, and oil drilling and processing.
Water, sludge, soot, acids, and temperatures above 150o C— these are the harsh conditions that oil filtration media are designed to meet. In this aggressive environment, media needs to consistently remove contaminants down to 8 microns or lower, while remaining durable over extended service intervals.
- H&V oil filter media, rated at both 50% and 95% particle efficiencies, meets a broad global range of particulate removal requirements to support your demands on six continents.
- Our Advanced Cure Resin (ACR) oil filter media can reduce your production line footprint by up to 50%, eliminate 99% of your environmental gas emissions, and lower your energy bills.
In hydraulic applications, filter failure is not an option. H&V delivers the industry’s highest performance media. Our gradient density-designed hydraulic filter media features excellent particle removal efficiency and the lowest pressure drop. It minimizes overall system energy requirements, improves reliability, and lengthens the life of machinery.
- Our hydraulic media are designed to remove up to 99.5% of particles >5 microns, and our dual-phase provides 100% more dust-loading capacity to extend filter change intervals.
- H&V hydraulic filtration media also offers lower flow restriction while maintaining current levels of filter efficiency and dust-holding capacity.
Coalescer filters for liquid/liquid separation need to efficiently remove water from petroleum-based liquids such as diesel, jet fuel, and hydraulic fluid to ensure our cars, planes, and heavy equipment function properly. Our market-leading grades are made from a combination of proven borosilicate microfiberglass and 100% synthetic, glass-free materials.
- Unique surface structures, fluoropolymer treatments, and optimized gradient densities on all H&V coalescer media enhance coalescence efficiency and long life.
- Our newest coalescer media incorporate nanofibers and microfiberglass that can be custom configured to influence the fiber gradient structure.
Where your customers need strong hydrophobic media to stop water migration, try some of our surface modifications and coatings – these will stop the water in its tracks.
Also see our exensive line of fuel media products.
The newest diesel engine systems require cutting-edge filtration technology to meet strict government emission and fuel efficiency limits. OEMs increasingly demand longer service intervals and reduced warranty claims. Consumers are turning to more efficient engines to lower fuel consumption, saving money and reducing emissions. As the leading supplier of fuel filtration media, H&V provides solutions for the greatest fuel filtration challenges.
- H&V’s fuel filtration media provides long lasting filtration efficiency of up to 99.9% for particles at and above 4 microns, resulting in longer filter element replacement intervals.
- New glass-free H&V media addresses the growing number of water separation challenges due to increased use of bio-fuels and lower IFT (interfacial tension). Our media meets the >95% ISO and SAE separation requirements.
H&V designs and manufactures both glass containing and glass free fuel media, including full synthetic options. Our product line covers fuel applications globally in a wide variety of efficiencies, dust holding capacities (lifetime), and water separation options.