H&V’s nonwovens deliver the printed message on your label or tags while meeting the critical technical requirements for each application. Our fiber-reinforced, resin-saturated label stocks can be designed to perform in environments of chemical exposure, high humidity, and high temperature.
- H&V specialty label stock can be designed to disperse in water in less than 15 seconds.
- By selecting high performance fibers and binder our products remain durable when exposed to heat up to 400°F.
- Printability, uniformity, opacity and high tear resistance can all be engineered into the products.
High tear strength, excellent internal bond, and a printable surface are the essential requirements when producing the reinforcement on legal tablets and specialty paper fasteners. H&V manufactures long fiber latex saturated wet-laid nonwovens specifically designed to meet these critical elements.
- H&V’s durable nonwovens are engineered to produce materials with tear strength exceeding 1000 g (force).
- Our unique process allows for the addition of a variety of custom colors with a surface designed for direct printing.
- The back surface of these unique webs can be coated to provide holdout that allows heat or water activated adhesives to be added without breakthrough to the printed side.
Manufacturers of chemical storage tanks, aircraft, and sporting goods all need to provide strength and surface smoothness to their finished products. H&V custom blends 100% synthetic fiber wet-laid nonwoven veils and mats to unique specifications.
- We can formulate using webs with a wide variety of high performance fibers that include PAN carbon, nickel-coated carbon, PBO, para-aramid, and ECR-glass
- Our long fiber isotopic webs demonstrate unusually uniform fiber dispersion in weights between 6 g/m2 and 350g/m2
Renewable energy sources only generate power when the sun shines or the wind blows. Optimizing green energy production into the daily grid cycle requires bulk energy storage. New load-leveling installations are accompanying renewable energy plants across the globe. Today, maintenance-free valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries with premium H&V separators are the leading electro-chemical storage solution worldwide.
- H&V’s separators are installed in multiple large energy storage projects around the world.
- Our battery separators feature more than 94% porosity for maximum acid storage.
Telecommunications and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) batteries provide energy back-up in the event of a power failure for critical applications, including computing, data storage, and sensitive manufacturing processes. For more than thirty years, H&V’s UPS and Telecommunications battery separators have been the first choice for long-life back-up power requirements. Our separators are optimized for heat, float, high-rate, and cycling.
- Our battery separators feature more than 94% porosity for maximum acid storage.
- We offer customized weight and thickness for peak performance in your design.
The automotive industry rapidly developed start-stop engines to reduce carbon emissions and provide more efficient fuel consumption. This innovative system turns off the car’s engine in situations where the vehicle would otherwise idle, such as stopping at traffic lights. Start-stop systems utilize sensors to detect when the vehicle is stationary. Some models will automatically shut off the engine when the vehicle’s speed falls below a specific threshold.
Start-stop systems are available with most vehicle classes, including motorcycles, to improve fuel efficiency and lower engine emissions. While these systems are highly advantageous in numerous ways, they do pose significant challenges for automotive batteries. Repeated starts and stops place a high demand on a vehicle battery because the vehicle is still in use. As the engine switches off, the battery must take on the burden of powering any electrical components that continue running. As a result, start-stop automotive systems often cause charge management and charge acceptance issues with vehicle batteries.
Hollingsworth & Vose (H&V) is a leading supplier of battery separators designed to improve battery function in start-stop systems.
Battery Separators for Automotive Start-Stop Engines
H&V Absorption Glass Mat (AGM) separators have become the dominant choice for automotive Starting, Lighting, Ignition (SLI) batteries used in start-stop vehicles. Our AGM separators facilitate high-speed assembly to meet the complex production demands of the start-stop vehicle market. We specifically design our separators to account for increased service demands such as rapid recharge, cycling, and acid stratification.
Accommodating these demands requires a wettable and porous battery separator that will allow acid to permeate it as the battery is charging or discharging. Additionally, the separator should never impede the flow of ions between the cathode and the anode.
Due to the acidic, oxidative environment of the battery, manufacturers must opt for materials that resist these stressors. Start-stop engine battery separators must also be durable enough to handle assembly operations and function reliably under the intense vibration and thermal stress they will encounter over the battery’s service life.
Additionally, consider the way that the separator will interact with the acid contained within the battery. Since the acid serves as the fuel or reserve capacity for the battery, manufacturers must design the battery separator to displace a minimal amount of acid. Incorporating this design feature will ensure optimal battery performance.
Our battery separators offer numerous benefits for start-stop systems, including:
- High-rate discharge performance
- Cycling optimization
- Compression maintenance (recovery)
- Electrolyte stratification resistance
- Reserve capacity optimization
- High-porosity for maximum electrolyte volume
- High-vibration resistance
- Chemical purity and consistency
- Thickness and basis-weight control
- Electrolyte-filling efficiency
- Wrapping/stacking efficiency
- Assembly defect reduction (rips, splits, tears, and punctures)
- Paste imperfection protection (paste lumps, spurs, etc.)
All-Glass and EnergyGuard® from H&V
At H&V, we manufacture all of our battery separators at a global network of regionally located mills, enabling us to offer rapid delivery times and localized application support. Our EnergyGuard® high-strength battery separator provides an ideal solution for start-stop systems, featuring an exceptionally robust construction that guards against vibration and assembly defects. Alternatively, our all-glass product line is also popular for this application.
To see how our battery separator solutions can help improve your start-stop system, please contact us today.
Our range of media for liquid filtration applications including residential and municipal drinking water, waste water, desalination, biomedical, food and beverage, gas, and oil drilling and processing.
Water, sludge, soot, acids, and temperatures above 150o C— these are the harsh conditions that oil filtration media are designed to meet. In this aggressive environment, media needs to consistently remove contaminants down to 8 microns or lower, while remaining durable over extended service intervals.
- H&V oil filter media, rated at both 50% and 95% particle efficiencies, meets a broad global range of particulate removal requirements to support your demands on six continents.
- Our Advanced Cure Resin (ACR) oil filter media can reduce your production line footprint by up to 50%, eliminate 99% of your environmental gas emissions, and lower your energy bills.
In hydraulic applications, filter failure is not an option. H&V delivers the industry’s highest performance media. Our gradient density-designed hydraulic filter media features excellent particle removal efficiency and the lowest pressure drop. It minimizes overall system energy requirements, improves reliability, and lengthens the life of machinery.
- Our hydraulic media are designed to remove up to 99.5% of particles >5 microns, and our dual-phase provides 100% more dust-loading capacity to extend filter change intervals.
- H&V hydraulic filtration media also offers lower flow restriction while maintaining current levels of filter efficiency and dust-holding capacity.
Poor indoor air quality has been linked to many health issues including respiratory illness. H&V’s filtration technologies for residential appliances create healthy, clean, and safe home environments while using the least amount of energy.
- AlphaPerm® 100 % synthetic meltblown air filtration media offers 40% lower resistance compared to standard meltlbown media, and is highly charged, with excellent pleatability on backer, rotary and blade pleaters.
- H&V’s Technostat® appliance filter media offer 30% to 50% lower resistance at a specified efficiency than any technology available on the market. This makes it ideal for small-space applications that require high efficiency with very low resistance—the type required by pre- and post-vacuum cleaner and room air cleaner filter applications.
- Technostat’s filtration performance, stability, and durability are ideal for vacuum cleaner primary filters; the media’s extended charge-holding capability means longer filter life.