UPS, Data Center Background and Trends
Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) provides backup power to applications and infrastructure that have a critical constant power need. Some of these applications include security alarms, defense systems, and commercial infrastructure. UPS is becoming almost synonymous with backing up data centers which is now the share of the UPS market.
Data centers depend on advanced AGM lead batteries to backup critical information stored on servers. If the grid is unstable and is unable to provide power to a data center, then the AGM batteries power the servers. The typical data center requirement is a high rate discharge between 5-15 minutes until generators are successfully operating.
What is an AGM Battery?
AGM batteries, or absorbent glass mat batteries, are a technological improvement to traditional flooded lead batteries. Over the years, AGM has become the advanced lead battery choice in the data center industry due to its reliability, scalability, and maintenance-free design.
The AGM battery has been the global choice backing up data centers. AGM batteries are a proven technology, reliable, maintenance-free, lower up-front cost compared to Li-Ion, safe, and recyclable.
What Types of AGM Separators are Used in UPS applications and What are Their Benefits?
EnergyGuard® AGM separators for UPS applications are designed to improve processability and battery assembly. Further, EnergyGuard increases battery performance and life.
Other benefits of H&V EnergyGuard AGM separators for the UPS application include:
- Available in various configuration options to meet processability needs
- Reinforced for improved processability and durability
- Lower electrical resistance improves battery performance
- Offered in a range of surface areas to improve electrolyte filling and cycle life
- Best-in-class thickness retention increasing battery life
- Ideal for high rate data centers
AGM Battery Separators from H&V
It’s essential that data centers use proven AGM separators to back up their information stored on servers. H&V is a global leader partnering and supplying AGM separators to the UPS market. Our battery separators offer the highest standards for performance and battery assembly. To learn more about our product offerings, or for more information about how our AGM battery separators can benefit the UPS application, contact us today.
Telecommunications, data, and life support systems need backup batteries that are reliable, maintenance-free, and long-lasting. H&V battery separators ensure they perform at peak condition.
- Reserve capacity optimization
- High-porosity for maximum electrolyte volume
- Cycling optimization
- Electrolyte stratification resistance
- Compression maintenance (recovery)
- High-rate discharge performance
- Chemical purity and consistency
- Thickness and basis-weight control
- Electrolyte–filling efficiency
- Wrapping/stacking efficiency
- Assembly defect reduction (rips, splits, tears, and punctures)
- Paste imperfection protection (paste lumps, spurs, etc.)
Our EnergyGuard® DB separator offers peak performance while helping to improve manufacturing efficiency and reduce assembly defects. EnergyGuard separators use a small portion of synthetic fibers to greatly improve tensile and puncture strength. Our all-glass product lines, BGO-65 and BGCB, exhibit excellent compression properties and are the most widely used all-glass products in the global market.
To request a Technical Data Sheet please click Contact Us above and complete the form.
UPS & Telecom
Specific Surface Area
BGO22065L 220 1.46 3.5 1.6 BGO30065H 300 1.99 4.7 1.6 BGO43565 435 3.05 5.5 1.6 BG210CB132 210 1.32 3.0 1.4 BG330CB206 330 2.06 4.5 1.4 BG410CB257 410 2.57 5.5 1.4 BG200DB130 200 1.30 4.5 1.3 BG275DB180 275 1.80 5.5 1.3 BG330DB217 330 2.17 6.5 1.3 BG160HB104 160 1.04 6.0 1.8 BG200HB127 200 1.27 7.5 1.8 BG300HB192 300 1.92 9.0 1.8