Hollingsworth & Vose (H&V) offers a range of filter media solutions suitable for use in medical operations and products.
What Is the Role of Filtration in the Medical Industry?
Filtration is vital to the medical markets. Liquid microfiltration processes are used in the production of pharmaceuticals, while different types of air and liquid filtration are used in hospitals around the world to promote patient safety during surgeries, dialysis, respiratory treatments, and laboratory research.
Which Current Medical Trends Are Affecting Filtration Solutions?
Trends within the medical market influence how and why filtration processes are used. Some of the current trends affecting filtration are:
- The focus on outcomes. Waterborne illness is a risk for the entire population, but it is especially so for those in a hospital setting with a compromised immune system.
- The increase in public health risk reduction efforts. Legionnaires’ disease arises from bacteria in untreated water. It has been a major public health concern.
- The development of parenteral therapeutics. The rise of monoclonal antibody (mAb) therapeutics delivered via parenteral methods will continue to improve patient outcomes.
- The rise in understanding that filtration enables treatment. While hospitals may be relatively standard users of water filtration materials, the therapeutics and medical devices they use depend on the best porous materials in the world. The medical and healthcare industries aim to bring the best treatments to the patient, which are possible with the best products with the best filtration technologies. (LINK TO BIOPHARMA)
- The increasing awareness of the role aerosols can play in the transmission of viruses. The broader medical community is showing a preference for using medical respirators over surgical-style facemasks. N95 or FFP2 type respirators provide better protection against airborne viruses than loose-fitting, low-efficiency facemasks.
- The demand for better air quality and patient outcomes. H&V air filtration products drive better indoor air quality (IAQ), which leads to better patient outcomes.
Why Choose H&V’s Medical Filter Media Solutions?
H&V is a premier source of advanced filtration solutions.
The liquid filtration products we offer for medical applications include:
- Trupor®. Trupor is our sub-micron family of products. It is available in several traditional microfiltration grades (0.65 micron, 0.45 micron, and 0.20 micron) and industry-standard polymers. It can be used as part of point-of-use or point-of-entry systems for hospital water.
- Wetlaid glass. Our wetlaid glass products are available in grades ranging from 10 micron to 0.20 micron. They are utilized in various healthcare and medical processes.
- Wetlaid cellulose and meltblown. Cellulose products are available in grades from 50 micron down to 1 micron. Our meltblown products are available for liquid filtration in polypropylene (PP), polyester (PBT), and nylon and grades from 30 micron down to 0.80 micron. They are used in the production and administration of dialysis and parenteral treatments.
The air filtration products we offer for medical applications include:
- Technostat®. Technostat and AlphaPerm are the leading electret filter media for critical applications, such as respirators, medical ventilators, spirometry, CPAP, and surgical hoods. These electret technologies are also widely used to improve indoor air quality (IAQ) in HVAC and room air purifier applications.
- AlphaPerm®, Nanoweb®, and PerForm™. Our Nanoweb and PerForm product families are used in HVAC systems requiring up to HEPA and ULPA levels of air filtration efficiency in hospitals, medical equipment, air purifiers, and pharmaceutical production to provide clean air that is free of pathogens and contaminants.
- NanoWave® extended surface area media. NanoWave filter media improves air quality by enabling higher levels of filtration without reducing HVAC system airflow. Upgrade your IAQ using your existing HVAC system today!
At Hollingsworth & Vose, we provide innovative filtration solutions to the medical world and beyond. To learn more about our leading filtration technologies, contact us today.
When it comes to Technostat’s and Technosat Plus’ superior filtration efficiency, dust-holding capacity, low airflow resistance, and effective shelf life, there’s no comparison in the critical care market. No other filter media removes bacteria as effectively from patient equipment airways using the same surface area. Our Technostat and Technostat Plus media provide lower pressure drop at the same efficiency rating without sacrificing ease-of-use or comfort, and are ideally suited for the following applications:
- BFE/VFE–bacterial/viral filters
- Spirometry filters for pulmonary function testing instruments
- Respiratory machines such as CPAP to treat sleep apnea and to treat pre-term infants whose lungs have not fully developed
- Filter/Heat Moisture (HME) filters for applications in critical care, respiratory care, and anesthesia
For more information, please click on the links below for brochures, white papers, case studies, and frequently asked questions:
Technostat Electrostatic Filter Media