Greenhouse gases from fossil fuels are a major factor contributing to global warming, so a renewable mix of energy is needed to phase out fossil fuel generation. Energy storage systems, hydropower, solar, and wind turbine energy are good examples of renewable energy generation. Energy storage systems work by storing energy from solar panels or wind turbines for later use. This helps reduce electric bills and greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to the net-zero carbon emission goal that many countries have targeted for 2050.
Learn more about how energy storage systems play a role in a net-zero carbon emission future.
What Are Battery and Energy Storage Systems?
Battery and energy storage technologies store energy generated by renewable sources such as wind and solar and then release it when needed. These systems help to even out the variability of renewable energy supplies and respond to fluctuating electricity demand.
Battery storage systems are made up of many interconnected batteries. The size and capacity of battery storage systems can vary widely, from small systems that power a single home or business to large utility-scale systems that can provide power for thousands of homes and businesses.
Battery storage technologies are still relatively new and constantly evolving. As they become more efficient and cost-effective, they will play an increasingly important role in the transition to a cleaner, low-carbon energy future.
Why Are Battery and Energy Storage Systems Important, and What Are the Benefits?
Battery and energy storage systems store and supply clean energy even when the wind doesn’t blow or the sun doesn’t shine. Here are more reasons why battery and energy storage systems are important:
- Meet demand: They help to stabilize the electrical grid by evening out demand and supply. This is especially important during peak times when there is high electricity demand.
- Backup power: Battery and energy storage systems can provide backup power during blackouts or other emergencies. This is essential for critical infrastructures, such as hospitals and shelters.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions: Battery and energy storage systems help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by providing a clean energy source. This can contribute to the net-zero carbon production goal by 2050.
- Store renewable energy: They can be used to store renewable energy, such as solar and wind power, which can then be used when needed. With enough energy storage systems and infrastructure, consumers and corporations can minimize their reliance on fossil fuels.
- Efficiency: Battery and energy storage systems help to improve the efficiency of the electrical grid by reducing losses from transmission and distribution.
What Is an AGM Battery?
Absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries are advanced lead-acid batteries that use an absorbent glass mat separator between the positive and negative plates. This separator is made of a porous fiberglass material that absorbs the electrolyte, which allows for a fully sealed design, making the battery spill-proof and leak-proof.
AGM batteries are maintenance-free and have a significantly higher charge acceptance than flooded lead-acid batteries, making them ideal for applications such as solar power systems and electric vehicles.
Because of their superior performance, reliability, recyclability, and scalability, AGM batteries are the preferred choice for grid storage applications. They also have a lower upfront cost compared to lithium-ion and other recyclable battery options.
What Types of AGM Battery Separators Are Used in Battery and Energy Storage Systems Applications, and What Are Their Benefits?
EnergyGuard® AGM separators are designed to improve processability and battery assembly for UPS (uninterruptible power supply) applications like grid storage. EnergyGuard® increases battery performance and life by decreasing the possibility of short circuits and improving electrochemical properties. They are ideal for float and cyclic use in energy storage systems.
Our AGM battery separators offer several other benefits that make them an ideal choice for energy storage systems, including:
- Excellent charge/discharge efficiency: H&V EnergyGuard® AGM separators are designed to maximize charge/discharge efficiency, ensuring that the UPS system operates at peak efficiency. Its lower electrical resistance also enhances battery performance.
- Long service life: H&V EnergyGuard® AGM separators are built to last, with a service life that is significantly longer than traditional separators. This is thanks to their excellent thickness retention and reinforced construction.
- Low maintenance: H&V EnergyGuard® AGM separators require minimal maintenance, making them a cost-effective solution for UPS systems.
- Customizable configuration: H&V EnergyGuard® AGM separators come in different configurations to match varying processability needs. They are available in various surface areas to optimize electrolyte filling.
Reliable backup power is a key function of any storage system application. In a power outage, backup power can mean the difference between life and death for people who rely on electronic devices to manage chronic medical conditions or those in emergency situations.
AGM separators are one of the most reliable types of separators available and can be used in all storage system applications. AGM separators can withstand the rigors of extended use and have a track record of delivering reliable performance.
Energy Storage Systems From Hollingsworth & Vose
AGM separators are the perfect solution for your battery and energy storage system needs. H&V is a global leader in manufacturing and supplying reliable battery solutions to industrial markets around the world. Our AGM battery separators offer the highest standards for performance and safety.
If you’re interested in learning more about H&V products or would like to place an order, please contact us today. Our team of experts is standing by to assist you with your battery and energy storage needs.