What Is a Gel Lead Battery?
Gel lead batteries is a valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) design. They are similar to standard lead-acid batteries but have some distinct design and construction characteristics that make them better suited for particular industrial applications. For example, their electrolytic solution consists of sulfuric acid combined with silica, which results in a gel-like substance. The higher viscosity of the substance allows the batteries to operate similarly to normal lead-acid batteries with less maintenance.
Key Benefits of Using a Gel Lead Battery
Compared to other types of batteries, gel lead batteries offer numerous advantages, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Easier maintenance requirements. The use of a gel-like solution rather than a liquid one minimizes the amount of maintenance needed.
- Lower risk of leaks. Since gel lead batteries are sealed and have a valve that vents excess pressure, they are less likely to leak than other batteries.
- Broader installation options. Due to their easy maintenance requirements and low leak risk, gel lead batteries can be installed in various positions, which increases the number of applications in which they can be used.
- Smaller safety risks. Gel lead batteries will not leak even if the casing is damaged, which reduces the chance of chemical damage to equipment and injury to employees.
- Simpler use requirements. This type of battery generates little to no fumes, so it requires less ventilation to use.
- Deeper cycling capabilities. These batteries can be undergo deep discharge without negatively affecting rechargeability.
- Better vibration resistance. Unlike wet cell batteries, gel lead batteries absorb vibrations and impacts.
Common Applications for Gel Lead Batteries
Due to their unique design and construction, gel lead batteries are well-suited for a variety of industrial applications. They are ideal for situations where:
- Ventilation is limited since they do not produce any fumes.
- Deep cycling is needed since they will not lose recharge capabilities.
- Regular impact and/or vibrations are expected since they are vibration resistant.
Some examples of typical applications for gel lead batteries include:
- Industrial Trucks (forklifts)
Separators for Gel Lead Batteries From Hollingsworth & Vose
Gel lead batteries deliver a range of benefits. Their easy maintenance requirements, low leak risk, no-fume operation, and many other advantages allow them to be used in applications where other batteries cannot, such as those involving remote locations and limited ventilation.
Hollingsworth & Vose specializes in developing and producing battery separators. Our products are used in gel lead batteries and many other types of batteries, where they meet the highest standards for performance and battery assembly. They are available in a variety of configurations to suit different batteries. To learn more about our advanced material offerings and how they are used in gel lead batteries, contact us today.