Lithium batteries are batteries that utilize metallic lithium as their anode components. They are commercially available in a variety of chemistries to suit different performance needs. One type commonly used within the industrial market and niche consumer applications is lithium thionyl chloride batteries.
Why Use Lithium Thionyl Chloride Batteries?
Lithium thionyl chloride batteries offer a number of advantages over other primary lithium battery chemistries, including:
- Higher voltage capacities. Typically, primary lithium cells offer cell voltages ranging between 1.5 to 3 volts. However, lithium thionyl chloride cells can deliver constant voltages of 3.6 volts over nearly the entire discharge period.
- Greater energy density, lower weight. These batteries can achieve energy density values up to 710 watt-hours/kilogram in a smaller and lighter package.
- Wider operating temperature range. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries can operate within temperatures between -60 to 85° C.
- Better durability, longer shelf life. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries undergo a chemical reaction between the lithium anode and the electrolyte that forms a protective film over the anode. This film stops the flow of ions between the anode and cathode, resulting in a self-discharge rate of only ~1% per year and up to 10 years operating life.
- Broader selection of options. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries come in many designs and sizes. The Bobbin-Type cell construction is frequently used since it is safe and long-lasting.
Why use H&V’s Lithium Thionyl Chloride Separators?
H&V’s separators are stable and are used in batteries that promote a long life. Product offerings are a lightweight material at just 30-35 gsm. The benefits of our separator include:
- Low Impurities. Our paper products have little to no metals, contaminants, or chemical impurities. They are nonreactive.
- Light weight. Pasting paper won’t significantly add to the thickness or weight of the assembly.
- Optimal battery performance. The separator does not interfere with other substrates in the battery assembly. It can be used for the low or high rate discharge in the application.
Common Applications of Lithium Thionyl Chloride Batteries
Due to their numerous advantages, lithium thionyl chloride batteries find application in many industrial and commercial devices and systems, such as:
- Cash registers
- Electronic toll collection (ETC) systems
- Electronic utility meters (e.g., for electricity, gas, and water)
- Failure analysis instruments (e.g., measurement instruments, onboard microcomputers, sensors)
- Fire/smoke alarms
- Medical instruments (e.g., automatic external defibrillators)
- Office automation machines (e.g., copiers, fax machines, printers)
- Two-way wireless communication systems
Learn More About Lithium Thionyl Chloride Batteries From H&V
Lithium thionyl chloride batteries are used to power various devices and systems across different industries and applications. Want to learn more about them? Ask the experts at Hollingsworth & Vose!
At Hollingsworth & Vose, we make advanced battery separator materials for lithium thionyl chloride batteries. These materials act as electron insulators; they isolate the electrodes while allowing ions to pass between them, which helps prevent short-circuiting. To learn more about lithium thionyl chloride batteries and how our materials are used in them, contact us today.