At Hollingsworth & Vose (H&V), we are a premier supplier of advanced materials for high-efficiency filtration applications. One of our core product offerings is meltblown filter media.
Meltblown filter media is among the most commonly used nonwoven technologies employed in high-efficiency filtration. This versatile, proven material is utilized in a number of different filter applications.
What Is Meltblown Filter Media?
A highly effective method of producing fine and efficient filter media is using meltblown technology. Meltblown fibers can have diameters under 10 µm, which is 1/8 the size of a human hair and 1/5 the size of a cellulose fiber.
The process of making meltblown filter media begins with raw synthetic thermoplastic material, such as polypropylene (PP), polybutylterephtelate (PBT), or polyethylene terephthalate (PET). The material is melted and forced through an extruder with numerous small capillaries. As the individual melt streams exit the capillaries, hot air impinges on the fibers and blows them in the same direction. This “draws” them, resulting in fine, continuous fibers. The fibers are then thermally bound together to create a web-like fabric. An electrostatic charge is applied to the web to boost the filtration efficiency of the material for air filtration applications. The meltblown can be calendered to reach a specific thickness and pore size for liquid filtration applications.
The advantages of meltblown filter media include:
- Very low pressure drop for a given efficiency when charged
- Mechanical filtration controlled by fiber size
- High dustholding / dirtholding capacity
- Chemical resistance dependent on the polymer
- Controlled oleophilic / oil absorbency properties
- Controlled hydrophilic / hydrophobic properties
- Antimicrobial properties
- Flame retardancy
- Dimensional stability
- Processability / pleatability
Meltblown filter media are used in a wide range of applications and are often a key functional layer in many composites, ranging from SMS to advanced composites, such as NanoWave and NanoWeb.
What Are Some Common Uses of Meltblown Filter Media?
Looking for filter media that you can trust in your air and liquid filtration applications? Hollingsworth & Vose is here to help! We offer a diverse range of meltblown and composite filter media to suit different industry applications. Typical end-uses for our products include:
- Cabin air combi-filters and pollen filters
- Industrial respirators and surgical masks
- Fuel and oil filtration systems
- Engine air intake filters
- Lube filters
- Hydraulic filters
- Room air purifier filters
- Vacuum cleaner filters
- Specialty liquid filters
- HVAC bag, panel, and V-bank pleated filters
- Process liquid filters
- Water filtration systems
- Food and beverage equipment
Why Choose H&V’s Meltblown Filter Media?
H&V is a global manufacturer of advanced materials for filtration applications. By choosing us for your meltblown filter needs, you benefit from our:
- Extensive experience. We’ve been a market leader in innovative meltblown and composite filtration media since the early 1990s. By using meltblown material as a performance layer by itself or alongside our proprietary technologies, we’ve produced highly differentiated products, many of which have set industry standards for new concepts and superior performance. Examples include NanoWave®, Trupor™, NanoWeb™, fuel media, pleatable synthetics, and Technostat® TMG.
- Superior products. We offer a diverse range of filtration products developed to target specific applications. Our products are optimized for particulate penetration, durability, service life, and/or cost-efficiency. Our AlphaPerm™ is regarded by many as best-in-class.
- Commitment to innovation. We maintain state-of-the-art manufacturing and industry-leading R&D facilities, which enable us to continually upgrade our product lines to meet changing market demands.
- Global presence. We have R&D and manufacturing facilities in the Americas, Europe, China, and India and sales representatives across the world, enabling us to provide customers with quality products and local service.
- Customer-focused response. We collaborate with our customers to create new product solutions that support them and the overall industry.
- High standards. We are committed to setting new industry standards with our high-performance products.